Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Critter Wars!


When I moved to my home in Van Buren, Arkansas... I encountered a bug that I had never seen before.
I've since found out these scary little bugs are known as "House Centipedes".
This first time I ever saw one, I had just moved in and was sitting on the newly carpeted floor, watching TV.
As you might have guessed from all those legs... these little boogers can HAUL! By the time you've seen something out of the corner of your eye.... They are ON you!
Now, I am not really afraid of spiders or most bugs... My only REAL "bug fear" is the Scorpion!
My brother Charles used his knowledge of this fear to scare me mercilessly.... Sometimes meticulously cutting a scorpion image out of a magazine and placing it along my base board... or on my bed... He even bought me one of those Oklahoma Paper weights that has a scorpion inside it... yeah, it was greeeeeaaaaaaaat.
So with my prior knowledge of the way scorpions look when they quickly trek across your carpet... I nearly went into a fear induced seizure when a house centipede darted across the floor and onto me!
Most people who know me, know that I really hate to kill anything... I will usually catch the critter and set it free outside. That's not a Buddhist belief... I think it'd more for all the times My cousin Sandy and I would catch things... and our uncle Billy would begin telling us about that creatures family... how they would be wondering what happened to it... maybe even holding search parties or hanging tiny little signs. Needless to say, the Scorpion in my one exception.
One night I killed one of these bugs as they darted across the floor... really just so I could make sure it WASN'T a scorpion... if it HAD been... I was ready to pack up and move again!
When I lifted the shoe I used to kill this thing... I was confused. I mean... what WAS this thing? It looked like false eye-lashes had fallen to the floor and took off running really really fast.
Then, I started worrying that I might have killed some endangered bug... I mean... If I, being a person of country/hill people heritage had never seen one... it MUST be rare!
After a long talk with a friend at the Extension Office and countless hours of web searches... the bug was identified.
Turns out, these creepy little bugs are actually GOOD to have around. They eat spiders and other bugs.
I've since tried to just let them be... it's kind of hard... because some of these things have been more than 3 inches long !
We've sprayed many times... but it doesn't seem to have a huge affect on them.
I'm cool with them, for the most part, but there is nothing that will shake you awake like seeing the light from the alarm clock cascading off a bug darting up your wall!
ewwwwwwwwwwww! Heeeeebie Jeeeeeebies!

No comments:

Post a Comment