Monday, June 8, 2009

Wait... What was I going to be when I grew up?

Why is it so easy to imagine what you're going to be when you grow up... but so hard to REMEMBER it in adulthood?

Granted, each of us probably changed our minds at least 3 times when we were kids... but let's take a look at the top 3.

For instance, I know that I wanted to be an Archaeologist. When did that change? I mean... I totally think that would STILL be a cool job to have!

I think what happens is "requirements" kill the dream.

Sure, we'd ALL be Archaeologists if the course study was "digging up stuff 101" followed by "trying to figure out what or who lived here for beginners".

But somewhere along the way, someone decided that in order to dig up stuff, you need to be able to do Trig.

That bad thing is we all just agree with the system.

Clearly, there are some classes that just are not needed for a degree.

What I think is happening is colleges are just slipping some "requirements" in there to make more money.

It probably started with just a few extra classes at first... then they were like "well.. we need to fill a 4 to 6 year plan SOMEhow".

I like the days of Laura Ingalls...

She was like 14 and took the teaching exam... next thing you know, she's teaching a class over by Mankato and courting Almonzo.

If she would have been required to complete a modern degree, she would have been an old maid by the time she finished!

I suppose really does come down to how willing we are to fight for our dreams... I mean... I DID end up working in TV for most of my life... that was one of my dreams... you know... before I KNEW better. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment