Monday, June 15, 2009

Yes, I get it... now shut the heck up!

Have you ever noticed how quickly a funny commercial or advertisement can become a thorn in your side?

Over the years there have been so many campaigns that nearly drove me to violence.

I mean, I guess they did their job because I can still remember most of them.... but there are some NOW that I hate so much that I REFUSE to buy the product out of protest!

Subway's 5 dollar foot long commercials make me want to scream! I hate hearing all those people singing sections of the song in their own styles... then someone puts the whole thing together!?!?!?! like nails on a chalkboard!!!!!

Also... What's the deal with those stupid cavemen? I mean... didn't that show launch them into a sitcom? HOW?

Who among us watched those commercials and thought "That would be HIIIIIIIIIIlarious!"?

Is that what modern television has come to?

And so help me, if I hear another "free credit report dot com" song I will have to rip off my ears and throw them at the TV!

The first song... yeah... it was funny.... BUT now were like 5 songs into this train wreck?!?!?! People PLEASE!?!?!?!?

The problem is, Advertising execs are paid to be creative... but they work in an industry where creativity is stunted!

Each "idea" has to be combed through with a fine toothed comb to make sure no one could possibly be offended by it.... and if it meets the criteria.... they use it... and they use it A LOT!

It's funny too... now, they're making 2 versions of the same commercial with tiny script changes!

I noticed this the other day... there was a commercial where a guy is going down an escalator and a woman says "I think you're the father of one of my kids"... the whole premise is that he's confused and thinks she means he's her "baby daddy", turns out the woman is his daughter's teacher... Anyway... in one version, he calls the woman "Miss" something... and in the OTHER version he calls her "Sister Mary Catherine"...

I bet they had to screen that one before dozens of Catholics to make sure it was OK.... And WHY?

Do we really live in an age where we can't say things that are just a little bit offensive???

Are we really so concerned with people's FEELINGS that we will abandon our freedoms and rights?

Do we all REALLY have that big of a chip on our shoulders?

I can't imagine how life would be if I didn't make fun of every aspect of my own life! And shouldn't I have that right?

I think we have just come to a point in time that everyone has built up this image of themselves that is "respectable" and "impervious" to outside influences....

Really? Do we REALLY think that in the grand scheme of things that we, as individuals, are THAT important to the whole group?

Wow! I just derailed this blog and took it totally off in another direction... but my point is... Some commercials are really annoying. ;-p

More posts to come... June has just been SOOOOO busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment