Monday, May 4, 2009

Am I Liberal or just Lazy?

Wow... I just woke up from what seemed like a 2 day nap. Nothing like rainy weather to help you sleep.

During the 2 day deluge, I heard from one of my cop friends that the crazy Topeka "church" was in town picketing the funeral of a fallen Marine.

Really?

What is it about those people that has just clicked off to make it seem OK to do something like that?

I totally get that they believe they're doing the right thing... Which is apparently to let the world know that THEY are now God's chosen people...

Have you ever seen these people? Seriously... they just don't look right. They all kind of look alike. Legally I should say, I'm not saying they're inbred.

What happened to these freaks? I mean... I have to applaud them for their dedication. I'm not sure there's anything I feel strongly enough about to actually picket... well... unless I thought it would help get Adam Lambert off American Idol.

But seriously. If I was part of a group that was supposed to picket and I woke up to a rainy morning... I would totally assume the protest had been rained out. Then, when I saw them later I'd just tell them, I was on my way when I had to stop and pray... God told me to tell you that he's really happy with you. You know those people would eat that up.

I just don't get it. I mean, have you seen some of their signs? They are just funny! Of course you have the standard "God Hates Fags".... which might I add, that sign would have to be changed if they were picketing in England... unless it was an anti tobacco rally.

I just picture them in the editorial meeting. Sister Brenda walks in with a Mock Up on some signs...

"Brother Phelps, as you can see here... we've superimposed Barack Obama's face over some of our stock images of the devil. You see he's holding a pitchfork and he's saying Burn Baby Burn"

"Over here we have Hillary Clinton, you'll notice we've morphed her head on a snake... see how she's coiled up ready to strike? as you can see we've written the word 'gayness' on her fangs... clearly she's ready to strike and infect her victims with gayness"

Somehow I picture Phelps saying something like "do we still have that one with Lance Bass Shirtless? I need a new copy of that one for my files.... Don't ask me why... God says I need it... and could you lock the door behind you when you leave?"

I think for me, it really comes down to this...

I would never support a church that spent more of it's time hating than helping. I have known too many people who have committed suicide or just given up because they were told God hated them.

And oddly enough, In my volunteer work for numerous organizations, I've met more "secular" people than religious ones.

I don't claim to know the mind of God... and I'd hate to be one of those people who DO claim to...

I kind of picture the entrance to heaven a bit like Airport Security. You have to go through security so they can check your baggage.

"Sir, You have a lot of Hatred in here... "

"It's not MINE, I was holding it for the pastor of my church"

"mmmm hmmmm, well it's in your bag so you best go sit down and wait for security."

Yeah, I kind of picture the security guard as a black woman.... because black women absolutely do not take any crap!

My advice is....

We all know how to do the right thing. We shouldn't have to wait on a pastor or religious leader to tell us.

We also shouldn't allow them to change the way God or the higher power.. .what ever you believe in has directed us in our heart.

However...If you still believe you SHOULD be fed beliefs... God told me to tell you to vote against Adam Lambert.

3 comments:

  1. Wooooohoooooo!!!!! Very well said! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. You've landed squarely on top of an issue that's really kept me out of church for most of this decade: by and large it seems to have become a political entity (and an easy marketing demographic for other political entities). Last time I checked, voting for specific candidates or parties wasn't a prerequisite for worshipping God. Guess that kind of thinking is really backward and 1990s of me, isn't it?

    EG

    ReplyDelete