Monday, May 11, 2009

Stupid sayings that annoy me.

I like to think that I'm "in on" pop culture... but there are a few sayings which just plain annoy me.. and perhaps MORE annoying is that too many small town people have latched onto them and CONTINUE to perpetuate the death of the English language.


Let's just start with "cool beans, Circa 1986". That saying was never a great one, yet some people hold on to it. What does it even mean? As I understand it, one might say "cool beans" as a positive response to something.... But are beans themselves actually a good thing when they arrive to your plate "cool". I mean, I would immediately assume that said beans had been scraped off another plate. Either that or the waiter had done something to them... maybe spit in them or wiped something gross in them thereby causing them to cool down more quickly.

Maybe it's just the context of it's usage that bothers me. Maybe we should change it's definition from something good to something ominous... "Walking down this dark alley at night is cool beans!" Or... "The weather is a cool beans, it may storm tonight". Just a thought.

What about "she's all that?"

This one has ALSO ran its course! I knew it was dead when I actually heard someone over 75 years of age saying "she thinks she's all that and a bag of chips". (No, it wasn't Paula Abdul who said that)

When that saying started, do you think there may have been hand gestures involved? I mean, could there have been a girl walking in a store and someone was standing near the jewelry cabinet and they were trying to illustrate that the girl thought she was worth a lot? Maybe they pointed at the jewelry and said "She thinks she's all that"... and someone working behind the counter laughed as they were about to go on break... then they looked in their hands at the bag of chips they were going to take on break and thought " I can one up that saying"... so then they turned back to the person who said it and said "all that AND a bag of chips!"...

I don't know... maybe I'm trusting in the creativity of the public too much...

Maybe, in fact, there's a government brain trust that just comes up with these phrases to "dumb up" the public...

Another one that just seems odd is when someone says "that's gay"

Is it? Does that mean the item in question has built s float which it is now riding while wearing leather chaps and a half shirt?

If someone points at a blue shirt and says, "that's gay", does that mean the shirt is attracted to other blue shirts?

And can we clarify? I mean would anyone ever say "that's lesbian."? OR... if the person pointing out the gayness actually kind of liked the shirt would they ever say "That's Bi"?

I think I just think about things too much.

My point is, we shouldn't buy into these sayings. We should strive for our own original words and nourish out own creativity!

If you don't agree, Check yourself before you wreck yourself. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. You definitely "hit the nail on the head". Ooops!! My bad!

    ReplyDelete