Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sorry for the delay... blame it on the rain.

I have been really busy the past few days and haven't had time to post a new blog.... But I assure you, there are topics to be discussed!

First, I just have to remind people of the tragedy that was Paula Abdul.

I can just see the producers sitting in a pitch meeting. " We can get Daughtry... He has a new CD coming out.".... "No Doubt wants to perform, it's a pretty big deal, this performance will prove they're not breaking up!"... and then... from the corner... that lone little voice "Paula has a new song".... cricket... cricket.

I was a producer for a TV station for years and let me explain something to you... all producers have a secret non verbal language.

I can just IMAGINE all the glances and raise eyebrows... as the producers *said* something like "yeah I think we can squeeze that in"... but what they *meant* was "Oh sweet nectar of the gods this is going to be delicious!!!!"

Let me just say, I think Paula was great during the time of her rise to fame... I'm sure we ALL had to be "Straight Up" with someone in our lives... knowing full well "Opposites Attract"... Many of us may have even found ourselves "Blowing Kisses in the wind"... or maybe we studied "Vibeology"... My point is... she served a purpose.... but.... That performance was just as contrived, shallow, show boaty as anything the "great" Adam Lambert could ever do.

I mean, it could just as easily have been HIM in that little red number being flung around by those backup dancers.

As I watched, I just kept thinking about that GREAT Character created by Meryl Streep in "Death Becomes Her"... Was Paula's "performance" not JUST like the opening show in that movie? Bless her heart.

I don't want to just harp on Paula... She just seems to have become the "pin up Cougar" for what American Idol and Disney is doing to the entertainment industry.

I mean... Before American Idol and Disney, there was no Miley Cyrus... The Taylor Swifts of the world were still busy paying their dues... and the Jonas Brothers would have just been a novelty at county fairs and church retreats...

There was a time when singers had to at LEAST be old enough to drive themselves to their next gig!

Why have we become so focused on turning CHILDREN into stars, and then dressing them like skanks?

Then we're all SURPRISED when the Britney Spears and the Lindsay Lohans freak out, get hopped up on drugs and plow over a few photographers while not wearing underpants!

We should revolt against this trend!

Give me Pearl Jam, Alice in chains... performers who have LIVED the lives they're singing about!

Some of the BEST writers are never given proper credit. I challenge you to listen to the lyrics of a few Mary Chapin Carpenter songs... She honestly has a gift for telling a story... John Legends music is AMAZING... Allison Krauss... really there are too many to mention!

What I guess I'm saying is, if I'm going to give an artist 4 minutes of my life, all I ask is that they truly share something from within themselves! Don't give me your whiny, nasal rendition of someone Else's words... I don't care how many mountains there are to climb, Miley.

(side note... The Black Eyed Peas TOTALLY don't fall into this group even though their songs are a little strange... I love them... because I AM so 3008 and you're so 2000 and late.)

No comments:

Post a Comment